- ¼ cup corn oil or EVOO
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped and caps sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- About ⅓ cup dry sherry
- 4 flour tortillas (12-inch)
- ½ lb. manchego cheese, shredded
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- A small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, sliced
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 3 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. oil, the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until crisp- tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the jalapeño, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sherry to deglaze the pan; lower the heat to a simmer. Meanwhile, char the tortillas on each side over an open flame or in a dry skillet.
- Fill the hot tortillas with the manchego, mushroom filling, tomato and cilantro. tuck in the sides, wrap and roll tightly into a burrito.